GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS AND GRAMMATICAL CATEGORIES OF THE NOUN AND THE VERB AS PARTS OF SPEECH
PROBLEMS FOR DISCUSSION:
1. General characteristics of the noun as a part of speech. The problem of the category of gender in Modern English.
2. The category of number. Different meanings of the singular and plural forms.
3. The category of case. The Common and the Genitive cases. Different interpretations of the ‘s’ formant. Views on the number of cases in English.
4. The article as a functional part of speech. Lexical and functional equivalents of the English article in Ukrainian.
5. General characteristics of the verb as a part of speech. Classifications of English verbs in accordance with different principles.
6. The category of tense. Tense oppositions. Different views on the tense system in English.
7. The category of voice. Different views on the number and kinds of voices in English. The problem of reflexive, middle and reciprocal voices. Passive voice in the English and Ukrainian languages.
8. The category of aspect. Aspect opposition and aspect markers. Peculiarities of aspect semantics.
9. The categories of phase (perfect) and mood. Mood and modality in the English and Ukrainian languages.
10. Practical assignments.
MATERIAL TO USE: